A 28-year-old man accused of taking a woman hostage Wednesday morning was shot when he pointed a gun at North Charleston police officers, an agency spokesman said.

A bullet hit Kenneth Lamont Brown's arm, a wound that was not considered life-threatening, during the confrontation at an auto body shop at 4264 Meeting Street Road.

Brown, a Meridian Road resident, was hospitalized and arrested on charges of kidnapping, possessing a weapon during a violent crime and pointing a firearm, said Spencer Pryor, a spokesman for the North Charleston Police Department.

"The female victim was found frightened but unharmed," Pryor said.

Brown has a history of arrests that date to 2001.

His convictions include grand larceny in 2002, strong-arm robbery in 2004 and resisting arrest and marijuana possession in 2005.

Charges of kidnapping and armed robbery that he faced after a 2006 arrest in Goose Creek were dropped.

His most recent arrest came in September on a charge of cocaine possession. That count was still pending.

The shooting was at least the third involving a Charleston-area police officer during the past two months.

On May 29, a Charleston police officer fired at a car that he said nearly ran over him during a traffic stop at King and Romney streets. Nobody was wounded.

State agents also are looking into a shooting June 20 at a North Romney Street apartment complex in which 19-year-old Denzel Curnell died during an encounter with a Charleston officer. But investigators have not said who fired the fatal shot in that case.

On Wednesday, North Charleston police officers first responded around 11:30 a.m. to BJ's Paint & Body Shop for a report of gunfire. The industrial area is near Rivers Avenue.

On the way, the officers learned that a man had taken a woman into an office, locked the door and threatened to "shoot police if they show up," Pryor said.

The police set up a perimeter around the business, where cars fill a large parking lot along Meeting Street Road. Deputies were summoned to help out, sheriff's Maj. Eric Watson said.

But not long after police set up, a man came out of the building and pointed a handgun at the officers, Pryor said. One officer fired a single gunshot, hitting Brown in the upper part of the right arm, the police spokesman said.

Officers detained Brown and started tending to his wound before paramedics showed up.

They found the woman he's accused of taking hostage still in an office, Pryor said.

The State Law Enforcement Division was called to investigate the shooting.

SLED spokesman Thom Berry said the agency would handle evidence-gathering at the scene and follow-up interviews.

Hours after the shooting, police officers and SLED agents stood by on Aragon Street. The Police Department's mobile command bus arrived.

Crime-scene tape blocked the entrance to M Street Auto Sales, which is part of the complex. In the grass along Aragon Street, officers also used the yellow tape to cordon off a green Lincoln Town Car.

Reach Andrew Knapp at 937-5414 or twitter.com/offlede.