SUMTER - Shaw Air Force Base went into brief "precautionary" lockdown on Monday afternoon after there was a "perceived threat" on the base.
The lockdown lasted about one hour and no discovery was announced.
A statement issued by base personnel afterward made no specific reference to the cause but media reports said an "active shooter" text report had been sent out to base personnel who were advised to move to secure locations. The event began at noon Monday.
"Security forces took precautionary measures to secure the base and established security around several buildings," a media statement said afterward. The statement was followed up by "The established perimeter has been cleared."
Officials declined to comment further.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.