A police officer shot at a car that tried to run over him late Saturday in downtown Charleston, but one of the two men inside got away after a brief chase.

The confrontation marked the first of four officer-involved shootings statewide during the past three days, according to the State Law Enforcement Division.

Nobody was thought to have been wounded by the gunfire. A man who was caught running from the suspects' car had not been shot, a police report stated, though any injuries to the other occupant were unknown.

A spokesman for SLED, which is investigating the shooting, said the police officer was somehow "slightly" injured during the ordeal.

The Charleston Police Department did not plan to complete a report about what led to the shooting, spokesman Charles Francis said, so details about it remained unclear. The document that the agency released pertained to other officers' response to the shooting.

It started with a traffic stop around 11:40 p.m. Saturday near Romney Street in the upper part of the downtown peninsula.

"Apparently, there was some type of confrontation involving the officer and occupants of the vehicle," SLED spokesman Thom Berry said. "The officer did fire several shots at the suspect vehicle."

The policeman said into his radio that a car had tried to run over him, another officer wrote in the report.

A silver Chrysler 300 then barreled down Romney Street at high speed and turned north on the southbound side of King Street, the officer reported.

The Chrysler weaved through traffic on King Street before turning onto San Souci Street. In a sharp bend on Rutledge Avenue, the driver lost control, and the car bounded over the curb and crashed into a concrete column under an Interstate 26 overpass.

Two men got out and ran, police said.

The pursuing police officer caught one of them: 20-year-old Quantero Tiswann Phillips of Vine Street in West Ashley.

Phillips was treated for injuries from the crash and for cuts he suffered while running away, police said. He was taken to Charleston police headquarters for questioning, but he was not immediately arrested.

After a search involving other police agencies and a helicopter, the second man from the Chrysler was not found.

The report does not say who might have been driving the car.

It was the 17th officer-involved shooting this year in South Carolina, Berry said, and the first of a series during the weekend and on Monday.

The second came early Sunday in Columbia, where police said a police officer shot a driver who accelerated toward him. The 20-year-old man's wounds were not life-threatening.

Then on Monday morning, deputies in Greenville County reported that they fatally shot a man who got out of a car at gunpoint and reached for his waistband.

Later that morning, authorities said, an Aiken County deputy responding to a report of a suicidal person shot a man who confronted the officer with a gun.

Reach Andrew Knapp at 937-5414 or twitter.com/offlede.