The day before Terrell Lawrence Wilson was gunned down last week, North Charleston police detectives got a warrant for his arrest on charges that he helped the man who fatally shot a woman on New Year's Day.
But investigators reiterated Wednesday that they have no evidence tying Wilson's death Friday morning to the shootings Jan. 1 that killed two mothers and wounded a third.
Wilson, 21, was wanted for alleged involvement in covering up evidence in the death of 49-year-old Debra Randall Martin, the third woman who was shot that day. Deputy Chief Scott Deckard of the North Charleston Police Department said investigators got the warrant for his arrest May 22, the same Thursday they announced charges against the alleged gunmen in the shootings.
Wilson was slain 12 hours after the announcement in which the police stressed the need for witnesses to see the case through to prosecution. They did not say whether Wilson had provided any information about the slayings when they first tried to question him in January.
"We were looking to question him on the others," Deckard said of the agency's plan to arrest Wilson in one of the shootings. "We did not serve the warrant before he was killed."
Wilson died early Friday morning when someone fired bullets into the South Surrey Drive home where he was sleeping. Nobody else inside told police officers that they saw Wilson's killer, and nobody has been named as a suspect.
Later that day, the authorities arrested Hikeem Javasea Devoy Reaves, 22, of St. Ives Road on a charge of accessory after an attempted murder. Reaves was accused of getting rid of the 9 mm pistol that the police said 25-year-old Jimmie Harris used to shoot Sabrina Green, 41, on Aintree Avenue.
Green's son, Montreal Ford, 22, shot Harris' stepmother, 52-year-old Janet Royal, later that morning on Niagra Street, the police said.
In return, the police said, Harris then shot into a Ventura Drive home and killed Martin.
How Wilson was suspected of helping Harris after that last slaying was not immediately known Wednesday. The police did not provide the warrant or discuss the accusation against him.
Three weeks after the attacks, Berkeley County deputies captured Wilson in Hanahan for questioning in the shootings. The deputies also charged him with obstructing justice, but they did not give a reason for the charge in an incident report.
He posted $100,000 bail later that day and was released from jail.
Wilson had a past conviction for giving false information to the police and possessing a small amount of marijuana. He got shot in a leg early last year in West Ashley, but his attacker in that episode never was caught.
Reach Andrew Knapp at 937-5414 or twitter.com/offlede.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.