SPARTANBURG - Authorities say a man found dead in a fire in his Spartanburg home had cuts on his hands and arms from trying to break windows to get away from the flames.
Police say the fire that killed 51-year-old James Tipton started around 3:30 a.m. Sunday after a lit cigarette fell on a couch.
Firefighters found Tipton unconscious on the floor of his home covered in blood. He died a short time later at the hospital.
An autopsy has been ordered to confirm how Tipton received the cuts and what killed him.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.