The cleanup of debris from the February ice storm that struck South Carolina is nearly done.
S.C. Department of Transportation officials announced Thursday that the debris removal operation will be completed by next week.
On March 14, DOT notified the public that any storm-related vegetative debris should be left on the right-of-way roadside for pickup no later than March 24.
DOT will not conduct the pickup after May 9, officials said.
Maintenance workers will focus their efforts on normal maintenance of the state highway system.
Following the deadline, pickup from residential properties will be the responsibility of the homeowner, officials said.
An estimated cost last month of cleanup after the winter storm in South Carolina was more than $160 million, officials said.
As of Friday, state transportation officials did not know the final cost of debris clean up, according to spokesman James Law.
The cleanup covered 19 counties hit by the mid-February storm, which left up to an inch of ice that snapped trees across a wide area of the state and dumped up to 8 inches of snow in the Upstate.
Forestry officials say the storm caused $360 million in damage to the state's forestlands.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Notice about comments: