Four people were left homeless early today after fire caused heavy damage to a South Street home early today.
At 12:02 a.m., firefighters were dispatched to the vicinity of Hanover and South streets for report of a house on fire, according to a news release from the Charleston Fire Department.
When first units arrived at 12:06 a.m., they saw fire coming from the rear of the two-story, single-family home, the release said.
The home was occupied by an elderly female and three other family members, the release said.
The elderly woman noticed the fire as she was watching television in a first-floor bedroom. Her daughter helped her get out of the house as the fire spread from the television to a nearby bed. There were no reported injuries, Fire Capt. Ryan Kunitzer said.
Firefighters attacked the fire inside the dwelling and were able to bring it under control by 12:15 a.m., the release said.
A first-floor bedroom suffered heavy fire damage. There was smoke, heat and some fire damage on the rest of the first floor and there was heat and smoke damage on the second floor.
The city's Fire Marshal Division determined the fire had been caused by an electrical failure near the television cabinet.
Additionally, firefighters reported finding two smoke alarm bases on the second floor that were missing smoke alarms.
The city fire department was assisted by the St. Andrews Fire Department, city police and Charleston County EMS, the release said.
The Red Cross was notified to assist the family.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.