A hearing scheduled for a Huger man accused of fatally beating one of his roommates with a golf club was canceled this week.

Benjamin Walter Dubois III, 30, is charged with murder in the death of 55-year-old Jerry Miles. Dubois was originally charged with second-degree assault and battery after investigators said he attacked Miles on May 28 at their French Quarter Creek Road home in Huger.

But Miles, who was hospitalized at Medical University Hospital, died from those injuries three months later, according to Berkeley County sheriff's officials.

The death was ruled a homicide, and his death certificate states he died at the hospital Aug. 26 of complications from blunt force injury to the head, according to Berkeley County Coroner Bill Salisbury.

The charge against Dubois was upgraded to murder. He was scheduled to appear Thursday before a circuit judge, but Dubois' attorney withdrew the request for a judge to set bail, according to Bryan Alfaro, the 9th Circuit deputy solicitor for Berkeley County. It remained unclear Thursday if the hearing will be rescheduled.

When deputies responded to the Huger home last year, Dubois told investigators he hit Miles while defending himself and his roommate, an incident report stated.

Dubois told deputies Miles had gone into his room and demanded he get out of the house, the report stated. He said Miles threw an ashtray at his head and then began striking their roommate, Ronnie Simmons, who was sleeping, with a golf club, according to the report.

Dubois told investigators he took the golf club away from Miles and started defending himself by hitting Miles with the club, the report stated.

Deputies were unable to speak to Miles at the time because of his injuries, according to the report.

Miles had several cuts on his head and defensive wounds on his left hand, authorities said. Miles also suffered a fractured skull and severe brain damage, according to an affidavit. Broken pieces of his skull had lacerated his brain, the document stated.

Their other roommate, Simmons, also suffered injuries to his head and told investigators he blacked out after being hit with the club and didn't remember anything, the report stated.

The three men had been drinking alcohol at the time of the incident, according to investigators.

Dubois was not arrested immediately following the incident, according to the report. But after further investigation, authorities arrested Dubois.

A witness told investigators Dubois hit Miles with the golf club until he was unconscious and continued beating him after that, according to an affidavit.

He remains jailed at the Hill-Finklea Detention Center in Moncks Corner.

Reach Natalie Caula Hauff at 937-5594 or Twitter.com/ncaula.