A sprinkler system saved a North Charleston apartment after a kitchen fire Thursday, according to the fire department.
Firefighters were called to the Cypress River Apartments on Blue House Road about 4:33 p.m., department spokeswoman Bianca Bourbeau said. The sprinkler system had activated and extinguished a small kitchen fire.
The apartment sustained little damage besides water damage, she said. Three people were displaced and expected to return in a few days.
People should always stay in the kitchen and keep an eye on the stove when cooking, Bourbeau said.
Also, you should never use water on a grease fire or you will just spread the flames, she said. If a fire extinguisher is not nearby, baking soda can put out a small fire. Flour and sugar won't work, because they will catch on fire.
Reach Dave Munday at 937-5553.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.