A sprinkler system saved a North Charleston apartment after a kitchen fire Thursday, according to the fire department.
Firefighters were called to the Cypress River Apartments on Blue House Road about 4:33 p.m., department spokeswoman Bianca Bourbeau said. The sprinkler system had activated and extinguished a small kitchen fire.
The apartment sustained little damage besides water damage, she said. Three people were displaced and expected to return in a few days.
People should always stay in the kitchen and keep an eye on the stove when cooking, Bourbeau said.
Also, you should never use water on a grease fire or you will just spread the flames, she said. If a fire extinguisher is not nearby, baking soda can put out a small fire. Flour and sugar won't work, because they will catch on fire.
Reach Dave Munday at 937-5553.
Notice about comments: