Charleston firefighters put out a small fire in the kitchen of King Street's Rarebit restaurant this morning, according to officials.
Firefighters arrived at around 9:19 a.m. to 474 King Street and were able to extinguish the fire quickly, according to Deputy Fire Marshal Ryan Kunitzer.
Someone inside the restaurant reported the fire but no one was injured, Kunitzer said.
Rarebit restaurateur Robert Hightower said a flat top grill was damaged in the fire. He speculated that the flames sparked from grease.
Hightower said the restaurant's staff hoped to open in time for tonight's dinner service. The business may wait until Thursday to open its doors if repairs aren't completed early today, he said.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation by fire marshals.
Check back on postandcourier.com for updates.
Reach Natalie Caula Hauff at 937-5594 or Twitter.com/ncaula.
Reach Christina Elmore at 937-5908 or at Twitter.com/celmorePC.
Notice about comments: