With such a young team, Charleston Battery coach Mike Anhaeuser knew that there were going to be some growing pains early in the season.

Charleston midfielder Jarad van Schaik had a goal and an assist, but it wasn't enough as George Davis IV scored twice for Richmond as the Battery and Kickers had to settle for a 2-2 draw Saturday night before a crowd of about 3,254 at Blackbaud Stadium.

It was the second straight draw for the Battery (0-0-2), who tied Orlando, 1-1, in the season opener last Saturday night.

"It's unfortunate that we gave up that late goal, and obviously there are things that we need to work on," Anhaeuser said. "I think we're going to be fine in the back, but with so many new guys in the lineup, it's going to take a little bit of time before we get used to playing with each other. Right now, we'll just take the point, learn from our mistakes, and move on."

A sentiment shared by van Schaik. There was no shame in a tie, especially considering the Kickers won the USL Pro regular season title a year ago.

"We wanted the three points, we got only one, but we've got to be OK with the result," van Shaik said. "Richmond had a really good season last year. Richmond and Orlando were probably the two best teams in the league last season, and we've proven we could play with both of them in the first two games. But we would have liked to have given (Richmond) an early loss this year."

Richmond grabbed a 1-0 lead on Davis' goal just 14 minutes into the match. Richmond striker Collin Martin hit Davis perfectly in stride with a beautiful through ball. Davis took two dribbles and then blasted a shot past Charleston keeper Odisnel Cooper for the score.

It took all of eight minutes for the Battery to answer. Midfielder Andre Lewis found a wide-open van Schaik in the middle of the 6-yard box, and the former University of Portland star headed home the ball to tie the game at 1.

"I made a run and felt like I was pretty open and Andre just gave me a great ball," van Schaik said. "Andre put it right on my head, and it was a pretty easy finish for that kind of cross. For me, it was just directing it on goal and hoping the keeper wasn't there to make a save."

The Battery grabbed a 2-1 lead on Amadou Sanyang's header in the 59th minute. Again it was van Schaik who supplied the offense off a free kick from about 30 yards out.

"I looked at Sanyang before I kicked it and just tried to put the ball near him, but he did the hard work," van Schaik said.

Davis scored in the 67th minute to tie the game.

The Kickers nearly won the game in the 83rd minute, but Matt Delicate's header bounced off the crossbar as Cooper scooped up the loose ball to end the threat.

"We didn't do a great job of possessing the ball in the second half," Anhaeuser said. "That's something that we definitely need to work on. That'll help our defense as well."

Charleston striker Omar Salgado, the No. 1 overall pick of the Vancouver Whitecaps in the 2011 Major League Soccer SuperDraft, limped off the field midway through the second half. Salgado, 20, appeared to have his caught his right foot in the ground trying to make a sliding tackle in the second half. It's the same foot that Salgado has broken three times during his pro career with the Whitecaps. Anheauser said team doctors will X-ray his Salgado's foot sometime in the next few days.