Cooking safety tips
According to North Charleston Fire Marshal Cindy Killette, cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and injuries.
Residents can prevent sparking flames in their kitchens by adhering to the following tips:
1. Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
2. If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
3. If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don't use the stove or stovetop.
4. Keep anything that can catch fire - oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains - away from your stovetop.
Those in need of smoke detectors in their homes can contact the North Charleston Fire Department at 740-2622.
Source: The North Charleston Fire Department
Firefighters this morning extinguished a kitchen fire at a North Charleston home.
The fire was reported shortly before 8 a.m. on Bennett Yard Rod.
First responders saw smoke showing from the single-family home, according to Fire Marshal Cindy Killette. Firefighters quickly extinguished flames that ignited in the home's kitchen, she said.
American Red Cross volunteers are assisting seven adults and four children who were displaced by the fire.
Reach Christina Elmore at 937-5908 or at Twitter.com/celmorePC.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.