Three people managed to escape from a house that caught fire on Gordon Street in Charleston Sunday night.
The two-story home caught fire at around 11:24 p.m., according to Charleston Fire Department officials.
The home's family room suffered heavy fire damage and the rest of the home has smoke and heat damage.
Fire marshals determined the fire started near the fireplace in the home's family room.
The house's occupants told fire officials they had placed yard waste into the fireplace and used an ignitable liquid in the fireplace, officials said. The exact cause and how exactly the fire spread remains under investigation.
Reach Natalie Caula Hauff at 937-5594 or Twitter.com/ncaula.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.