A kitchen fire displaced residents from four apartments in North Charleston on Wednesday.
North Charleston firefighters responded to Fairwind-Oakfield Apartments, 8750 Fairwind Drive, spokeswoman Bianca Bourbeau said.
Arriving units saw smoke coming from a downstairs unit, she said. Crews extinguished the fire within 10 minutes.
The flames were contained to the unit's kitchen, but three adjoining apartments received extensive smoke damage, Bourbeau said. Authorities determined the fire started on a stove.
No injuries were reported in the incident.
American Red Cross volunteers are assisting residents who were displaced by the fire.
"The North Charleston Fire Department would like to take a moment to remind residents to 'watch what you heat,'" Bourbeau said in a news release. "If you are cooking stay in the kitchen with your food as you cook. Do not store anything on top of the range such as a pot of grease or pots and pans."
Bourbeau urged residents to keep flammable items away from stoves and turn off all burners after cooking.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.