A house fire that shut down half of the Septima P. Clark Parkway Tuesday morning was caused by contractors sanding a floor, according to the Charleston Fire Department.
The fire on Kennedy Court was reported about 9:10 a.m. The northbound lanes of the Crosstown were closed for about an hour while firefighters were on scene.
The house was being renovated, and the fire started in a floor sander after contractors left the house, Fire Department Community Educator Ryan Kunitzer said. Flames spread across the floor to an adjoining wall and up toward the attic. Firefighters had the fire under control within five minutes and were able to contain the blaze to a single room, Kunitzer said.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.