SAVANNAH, Ga. -- Savannah authorities say two children are dead after their home caught fire overnight and investigators suspect a space heater is to blame.
Savannah firefighters were called to the small cinderblock home at 1:53 a.m. Thursday and found flames and smoke pouring from the front of the house. Two adults and four children escaped the home, but firefighters found two children dead inside.
Savannah Fire and Emergency Services spokesman Mark Keller says investigators suspect the fire was caused by a space heater in a central living area.
Firefighters prevented flames from spreading to neighboring homes. Names and ages of the children killed were not immediately released.
Though a winter storm this week largely spared Savannah, residents were urged to stay home to avoid icy roads. Temperatures hovered below freezing overnight Wednesday.
Notice about comments: