ORANGEBURG - South Carolina State University President Thomas Elzey has sent a video message to students defending the decision not to lock down the campus immediately after a fatal shooting last week.
Elzey says police had several witnesses tell officers the shooter left campus immediately after killing 20-year-old Brandon Robinson on Friday. University officials decided since the threat was over, there was no need to immediately keep everyone inside. A lockdown was issued later to make sure the gunman did not come back to campus.
Elzey told students the investigation continues, but he is confident there is no further threat to the campus. One man has been arrested and charged with murder.
Elzey also says he knows the university community is shaken, but it also is strong.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.