NEW YORK — Jos. A. Bank Clothier Inc. has rejected a $1.61 billion takeover offer from rival Men’s Wearhouse.
The two men’s clothing retailers have been engaged in a strange courtship for months.
Jos. A. Bank made a bid for The Men’s Wearhouse Inc. last year that was rejected.
Men’s Wearhouse then turned the tables and made a bid for Jos. A. Bank that was denied in December. It then raised the offer to $57.50 per share from $55 per share. But Jos. A. Bank said Friday that the offer is still too low and not in the best interest of shareholders.
Men’s Wearhouse plans to take the deal to directly to shareholders and Jos. A. Bank is urging shareholders to reject the offer, saying it significantly undervalues the company’s potential.
In a statement Friday, Fremont, Calif.-based Men’s Wearhouse said that Jos. A. Bank has refused to meet and asked the company to form a special committee to evaluate its offer. It also urged Jos. A. Bank’s shareholders to tender their shares and vote for its two candidates for Hampstead, Md., company’s board.
Jos. A. Bank, based in Hampstead, Md., sells men’s tailored and casual clothing and shoes and is known for ads that say consumers can buy one suit or sport coat and get three for free. Men’s Wearhouse runs its namesake chains as well as the Moores and the K&G chains.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.