A 36-year-old man who was mistakenly released from the Charleston County jail turned himself in Friday night.

On Wednesday, Charleston police arrested George Henry Knight of James Island on charges of possession with intent to distribute marijuana, distribution of marijuana and unlawful carrying of a firearm, authorities said.

The following day, Knight went before a bond hearing judge, and a personal recognizance bond was issued for his release, sheriff's Maj. Eric Watson said. That was soon changed, however, and a new bond set requiring Knight to post $30,000 bail, he said.

But the staff member who received the updated paperwork for Knight didn't pass it along in a timely manner, Watson said. That allowed Knight to be released without posting the required bail, he said.

After deputies' search for Knight included a publicity campaign and an encounter with pit bulls in which one of the dogs died, he turned himself in at 9:30 p.m. Friday and was booked without incident at Cannon Detention Center in North Charleston, Watson said.

In June 2012, improper paperwork was blamed for another inmate's early release from the jail. Mary Frasier, who had received a 30-day sentence for unlawful use of a cellphone, was quickly located and placed back in custody after the error was discovered, authorities said.

One month earlier, inmate Sean DeLeon Doctor, 28, posted $250,000 bail and was allowed to leave the jail, though he was not eligible for release. Deputies got him back in custody six days later after tracking him to a North Charleston apartment.

Sheriff's officials blamed that mistake on confusion over multiple charges and multiple bonds set for Doctor, who had faced a variety of drug counts and other charges.

Knight was initially nabbed during a Wednesday traffic stop on Folly Road after officers recognized him as a man wanted on a marijuana distribution charge, according to an incident report.

Officers searched his van and found 54 grams of marijuana, a digital scale and a loaded .40-caliber pistol, police said. Later, at police headquarters, Knight told officers he had additional pot in his pants. They searched him and found another 23 grams of marijuana, the incident report stated.

The combined street value of the pot was about $600, police said.