Filling the shelves again
Charitable nonprofits and food banks work daily to help the needy, but the holiday season can be so busy it can leave the organizations low on supplies.
That's where fundraisers such as Charleston Drive for Hunger prove invaluable, rallying community support to restock shelves.
For the third straight year, the campaign through Jan. 12 will help local food banks and nonprofits get a jump-start on the year. Promoting the drive are the Hendrick Automotive Group dealerships in Charleston and North Charleston.
The car stores will make donations to The Lowcountry Food Bank and East Cooper Community Outreach to help restock food and supplies that are depleted during the holidays, organizers said.
People in the Charleston community can pitch in by dropping off nonperishable food or winter coats at any of 12 Charleston-area Hendrick dealerships before Jan. 12. At the same time, Hendrick dealerships intend to donate $1 for each "Like" received at www.facebook.com/CharlestonDrive up to $10,000.
"Local care-giving organizations answer huge demands during the holiday season and often start the new year with depleted supplies," said Brad Davis, general manager of Rick Hendrick BMW of Charleston and Mini of Charleston.
"We can't think of a better way to begin the 2014 than by helping jump-start community giving," he says.
The Lowcountry Food Bank distributes more than 19 million pounds of food a year serving South Carolina's 10 coastal counties. For more information, visit www.lowcountryfoodbank.org.
Meanwhile, East Cooper Community Outreach provides "safety net services" for low-income families and others in need. The organization works to empower the families "to create a better future for themselves." And ECCO provides emergency assistance, food, clothing and essential medical services to address poverty in the Charleston area. For more, go to www.eccocharleston.org.
Through "Charleston Drive," Hendrick Automotive Group's dozen dealerships host charitable programs that "engage citizens to give back to their community." Through the year, the organizations launch charitable events to raise money and supplies to benefit the Lowcountry region of South Carolina.
For more information, go to www.Facebook.com/CharlestonDrive.
Auto dealerships taking part in Charleston Drive consist of:
- Rick Hendrick Chevrolet on Savannah Highway in Charleston.
- Rick Hendrick Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram, Savannah Highway.
- Hendrick Honda of Charleston, Savannah Highway.
- Hendrick Hyundai, Savannah Highway.
- Hendrick Hyundai North on Rivers Avenue in North Charleston.
- Rick Hendrick BMW, Savannah Highway.
- Mini of Charleston, Savannah Highway.
- Volvo of Charleston, Savannah Highway.
- Rick Hendrick Jeep Chrysler Dodge Ram, Rivers Avenue.
- Rick Hendrick Fiat of North Charleston, Rivers Avenue.
- Lexus of Charleston, Savannah Highway.
- Hendrick Toyota Scion North Charleston, Rivers Avenue .