TUPELO, Miss. -- A Tupelo police officer was killed and a second was in critical condition Tuesday after a shootout with suspected bank robbers.

The officers arrived in separate cars to the robbery call from BancorpSouth around 3:15 p.m. Monday. They pursued the suspects' car and those in the vehicle jumped out and began firing at the officers, said Tupelo Police Chief Bart Aguirre.

Officer Kevin "Gale" Stauffer, 38, was killed, and a 26-year-old officer, whose name was not released, was hurt, though Aguirre declined to discuss the specific injuries.

Shantiqua Shumpert told the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal that she was in a car between the police and the robbers when a man walked around her car toward the officers.

"The police told him to get back in the car, and the next thing I heard were shots," she said.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is looking for one suspect who they say might be heavily armed and others. He might be in a charcoal color, medium-sized four-door sedan, possibly a Chrysler 200 or a Honda of some type. He also may be on foot, said FBI Special Agent in Charge Daniel McMullen during a Monday night press conference.

He may have been injured and the car may have gunfire damage.

"This is a very dangerous person we need to get off the streets," McMullen said at a news conference Monday night.

The FBI has offered a reward of $50,000, which has been matched by BancorpSouth, for a total of $100,000.

Stauffer had been with the Tupelo Police Department since 2005. He previously worked as a jailer for the Lee County Sheriff's Office and was in the Louisiana Army National Guard.

His funeral is scheduled for 11 a.m. Friday at the sanctuary of the First United Methodist Church in Tupelo. Burial, with military and law enforcement honors, will follow the service at Tupelo Memorial Park. He is survived by his wife, Beth, and daughter Dixie, 6, and son Skip, 2.

Mayor Jason Shelton said a bystander used a fallen officer's radio to report the shooting.

"We are grateful to the citizen who called for help and likely saved the life of the other officer," Shelton said.