Fires are common at barbecue joints, but Scott’s Bar-B-Que went 24 years without an uncontrolled blaze, a streak that went up in smoke on one of the busiest days on the Hemingway pit’s calendar.
As first reported by Charleston City Paper, a pig caught fire in the cook shed early Wednesday morning. The flames reached the wall, ultimately taking down the roof.
The employee tending the barbecue was uninjured.
“He did the right thing and got out of the building,” Scott says. “All is well.”
The fire destroyed 15 pigs being smoked for sale on Tuesday, and set back Scott’s popular Thanksgiving turkey-smoking service.
“This is one of our busiest days of the year and I didn’t have product,” Scott says.
To make up for the shortfall, Scott pulled out the mobile pits he uses for his many road appearances. Frequently hailed as one of the nation’s best pitmasters, Scott this year has towed his mobile unit to New York’s Big Apple BBQ Block Party and Cook It Raw on Bowen’s Island, among other prestigious events.
“It’s always good to have a back-up plan,” he says.
Scott predicts he’ll have the structural damage repaired in two weeks.
“It’s the same-old, typical night,” Scott says of the evening before Thanksgiving, for which Scott’s always stays open. “We just don’t have inside walls.”
Notice about comments: