‘Thor’ still strong against ‘Best Man’

NEW YORK — In an unlikely battle of sequels, “Thor: The Dark World” bested “The Best Man Holiday” at the box office.

Disney’s “Thor: The Dark World” continued its box-office reign with $38.5 million in its second week of release, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Opening 15 years after the original “The Best Man,” Universal’s “The Best Man Holiday” opened strongly with $30.6 million.

Drawing an overwhelmingly female and African-American audience, “The Best Man Holiday” was a surprise challenger for the mighty “Thor.” The R-rated romantic comedy, with an ensemble cast including Morris Chestnut and Taye Diggs, debuted with more than three times the box office of 1999’s “The Best Man.” That film opened with $9 million.

Marvel’s Norse superhero, however, has been hammering audiences around the globe. “Thor: The Dark World” made $52.5 million internationally over the weekend, bringing its worldwide total to $479.8 million.

“The Best Man Holiday” was the only new wide-release opening over the weekend, as the marketplace clears out for the release of “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.”

Netflix revives ‘Killing’ for final 6 episodes

LOS ANGELES — Netflix says it is reviving “The Killing” after its cancellation by AMC.

A fourth and final season will be available to Netflix subscribers, the streaming service said last week. Six episodes are planned to give the crime drama a “proper send-off,” Netflix executive Cindy Holland said in a statement.

Stars Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman will return to the crime drama for its conclusion, producer Fox Television Studios said.

“The Killing,” based on a Danish series and developed by Veena Sud, has had a rocky history. AMC canceled it after a second-year ratings slump, reversed its decision and then axed it again after the third season aired in the summer.

Netflix said the final six episodes of “The Killing” will be available for instant viewing but didn’t announce the release date.

Celine Dion to host CBS’ adoption special

LOS ANGELES — CBS says Celine Dion will host a holiday special spotlighting adoption.

The network says Dion also will perform on the 15th annual “A Home for the Holidays,” along with Ne-Yo, Chris Young and others.

The special will introduce families and the children they adopted from foster care. Among them is a Los Angeles couple inspired to act after seeing last year’s program, and a young man who lived in 11 foster homes before a Washington woman adopted him.

According to the Department of Health & Human Services, there are about 400,000 children in foster care in the U.S.

Presenters of “A Home for the Holidays with Celine Dion” include the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption and the Children’s Action Network.

The hour-long special airs 8 p.m. Dec. 18.

Ex-Mayor Koch’s art, furniture up for sale

NEW YORK — An auction will offer a glimpse into the inner world of former Mayor Edward Koch when a trove of his furniture and art collection goes on sale.

Doyle New York is auctioning the items in two sessions, with the first being held Monday. On Nov. 25, Koch’s correspondence with heads of state, his books and other ephemera are scheduled to be sold.

The three-term former mayor died in February at the age of 88.

The Nov. 25 highlights include a framed copy of a 1948 letter from Harry Truman recognizing the newly established state of Israel. Also included are letters from Presidents Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton, British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin.

Associated Press