A 48-year-old man with a past of running from the authorities led the North Charleston police on a high-speed chase earlier this week that ended after his pickup hit spike strips that an officer put in the road, according to crime records.

Scott Ronald Dixon of Thoroughbred Drive on Johns Island was jailed before midnight Monday on a charge of failure to stop for blue lights.

North Charleston Police Department spokesman Spencer Pryor released the incident report Friday.

Police said when Dixon sped away from officers Monday, he was wanted by the Charleston Police Department on a charge that he stole $16,800 worth of his estranged brother’s belongings.

Dixon also has two prior convictions for running from the police.

The report about Monday’s chase did not state why North Charleston officers first tried to stop Dixon’s white Dodge Ram 1500. Further details are expected later, Pryor said.

The paperwork stated that an officer was dispatched to help end the pursuit as Dixon’s pickup traveled toward his patrol car at high speed on eastbound Dorchester Road.

When the officer spotted the Dodge near the Interstate 26 interchange, others had lost sight of it. The officer threw spikes in front of the pickup’s path at the Woodlawn Avenue intersection, but Dixon tried to swerve around them, the police said.

Despite the driver’s maneuver, both tires on the pickup’s passenger side hit spikes.

The officer packed up the spikes and tried to join the chase as the Dodge turned right onto the eastbound I-26 on-ramp. But by the time he caught up to the action, the officer learned that the Dodge had run off the road and crashed into a ditch.

Dixon tried to run away, but he was soon caught during a search that included a police dog, according to the report.

As officers frisked Dixon after they handcuffed him, they found a knife in his left front pocket, they reported. The weapon might have been used in an earlier armed robbery in another city, they reported without giving specifics.

Dixon has an arrest history in South Carolina that started in 2001, when he was convicted of petty larceny, according to the State Law Enforcement Division.

The next year was a busy one for Dixon and the police agencies he was convicted of running from.

In February 2002, Dixon was driving a stolen vehicle when he was arrested for failure to stop for blue lights.

Then in May 2002, Charleston police officers arrested him on charges of felony failure to stop for blue lights and reckless driving. Three days later, North Charleston authorities charged him with felony hit and run with personal injury and breach of trust.

Reach Andrew Knapp at 937-5414 or twitter.com/offlede.