A fire in a John’s Island home that killed two pets on Wednesday could have been fatal for the resident inside the home, had the blaze occurred overnight, according to St. John’s Fire Department officials.
The Anglers Pond Lane resident told fire investigators he’d removed the batteries from the home’s smoke alarms, officials said. It’s a move fire officials said could prove deadly, if the resident had been asleep.
But, the fire occurred at 1:49 p.m. and all those people inside the house made it out of the home and were not injured, officials said. The mobile home sustained smoke and fire damage and two pets died.
“The St. John’s Fire District would like to remind everyone that they should ensure their home smoke alarms are operational, they should be tested monthly and the batteries should be replaced twice a year. The change to daylight saving time is a great time to change your smoke alarm batteries,” stated Battalion Chief James T. Ghi. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.