If all goes according to “GameDay” and ABC primet-time plan, Saturday night’s Florida State-Clemson clash will rank high on the list below by the end of Saturday night.
It is, after all, the first matchup of top five football teams in Palmetto State history.
Until kickoff ...
The five best Clemson-Florida State football games:
1. 1988 - FSU 24, Clemson 21 at Death Valley. The (LeRoy) Butler did it. A “Puntrooski Game” trick play set up the game-winning field goal. Before that, Deion Sanders waved the Tigers down The Hill.
2. 1989 - Clemson 34, FSU 23. Puntrooski revenge; The late Wayne Simmons of Hilton Head scored on an acrobatic interception and return to stun the crowd in Tallahassee.
3. 2003 - Clemson 26, FSU 10 at Death Valley. The unranked Tigers, coming off a 45-17 loss at Wake Forest stunned the No. 3 Seminoles and saved Tommy Bowden’s job. Clemson went on to win at South Carolina, 63-17, and upset Tennessee in the Peach Bowl.
4. 2009 - Clemson 40, FSU 24 at Death Valley. Clemson took a giant step toward its first ACC title game appearance
5. 1999 - FSU 17, Clemson 14 at Death Valley in Bowden Bowl I. The game was closer than expected in Tommy Bowden’s first Clemson season, the unranked Tigers vs. Bobby Bowden’s No. 1-ranked Seminoles.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.