HYDEN, Ky. — Fire officials are trying to figure out what caused an ambulance to catch fire and explode while transporting a patient in Leslie County.
No one was injured in the blast, which happened at about 10 a.m. EDT Wednesday.
Paramedics were transporting a patient from Mary Breckinridge ARH Hospital to the nursing home when their Trans-Star ambulance caught fire.
Hyden Fire Chief Bill Morgan told WYMT-TV in Hazard the fire may have started in short in the wiring of the ambulance’s electrical system.
Morgan says a large oxygen tank in the rear of the ambulance exploded, causing a concussion so loud it could be felt by bystanders.
Ambulance driver Chris Kilbourne says the patient was a man in his 60s who was unharmed.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.