HYDEN, Ky. — Fire officials are trying to figure out what caused an ambulance to catch fire and explode while transporting a patient in Leslie County.
No one was injured in the blast, which happened at about 10 a.m. EDT Wednesday.
Paramedics were transporting a patient from Mary Breckinridge ARH Hospital to the nursing home when their Trans-Star ambulance caught fire.
Hyden Fire Chief Bill Morgan told WYMT-TV in Hazard the fire may have started in short in the wiring of the ambulance’s electrical system.
Morgan says a large oxygen tank in the rear of the ambulance exploded, causing a concussion so loud it could be felt by bystanders.
Ambulance driver Chris Kilbourne says the patient was a man in his 60s who was unharmed.
Notice about comments: