Grapevine: Charleston Int’l Airport travelers can track construction work online
The 2.6 million passengers traveling through Charleston International Airport will encounter a lot of construction work over the next two years as the aging terminal undergoes a total makeover.
To help them navigate their way through work zones and update them on areas of redevelopment, the Charleston County Aviation Authority has added a new website, www.chs-trip.com.
It offers an overview of the construction plan, a time line, before-and-after photos, work alerts, contact information and a video featuring Aviation Authority Chairman Andy Savage and Fentress Architect’s Tom Theobald talking about the $189 million project. Fentress is designing the 28-year-old terminal’s overhaul.
“We’re excited to provide the community, our passengers, airport employees and our tenants with a way to follow the construction progress through engaging and informative visual content and through stories about the work and the people behind the work,” said Hernan Pena, chairman of the authority’s Terminal Redevelopment and Improvement Plan committee.
In addition, passengers will soon see signs around the terminal with QR code symbols that will connect their mobile devices with the website.
“Things could get a little loud and a little messy, but the temporary inconvenience will lead to long-term improvement of the customer experience at Charleston International Airport,” said Paul Campbell, airports director. “We’re going to do our best to keep people informed, keep people safe and make it as easy as possible to navigate around the construction.”
Terminal redevelopment includes adding six new gates, a third baggage carousel, new rental car pavilion, consolidated security checkpoints, a dome over the atrium and numerous other structural and cosmetic changes. Work is expected to be completed in August 2015.
The director of World Trade Center Charleston, a group that works with local businesses to help them import and export more, recently resigned the post, officials confirmed Thursday.
The departure of Jeff Cain comes as the World Trade Center, which is part of the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce, is forming a new export-boosting initiative with the help of the Brookings Institution.
Laura Bright, a spokeswoman for the chamber, said she didn’t know why Cain left the post he was hired for last year. She added that the World Trade Center is seeking a new director and the focus of the program will not change. Efforts to reach Cain by phone last week were unsuccessful. Previously, he was president and chief operating officer of WeatherBarriers Unlimited in Jacksonville, Fla.
Earlier this summer, the World Trade Center unveiled a “Charleston Metro Export Plan,” which calls for forming a regional council that would be tasked with helping small businesses increase the volume of goods they ship overseas.
Staying the course
There was no rocking the boat at the State Ports Authority annual board elections last week. The panel, which is in the midst of plowing through a $1.3 billion capital improvement plan, while seeking federal money to deepen Charleston Harbor, re-elected Bill Stern as its chairman.
Staying the course
Stern has led the SPA board since November 2009. He is owner and president of Columbia-based Stern & Stern and Associates, a commercial real estate development firm.
Charleston resident John F. Hassell III, retired president of the Maritime Association of the Port of Charleston and a former interim CEO of the SPA, was re-elected vice chairman.
DISH Network subscribers could lose programming from Media General-owned NBC and CW affiliate WCBD-TV Channel 2 if a new contract agreement is not reached by midnight Sept. 30.
“At this time it appears unlikely that a new agreement will be reached,” WCBD said in a statement.
If no contract is reached, DISH could blackout NBC shows. Subscribers could still watch the Peacock Network via antenna or by switching to an alternative pay-TV service provider, WCBD said.
WCSC-TV Channel 5, the local CBS affiliate, went through a similar fee dispute with DISH in July without resolving it before the Aug. 1 deadline. They later came to an undisclosed agreement.
Members of a popular private dining and meeting establishment in downtown Charleston can now order stock, though not off the menu.
The Dallas-based owner and operator of The Harbour Club sold 13.2 million shares at $14.50 a pop Friday in an initial public offering that was expected to raise about $252 million.
ClubCorp Holdings Inc.’s stock climbed about 4 percent on its first day of trading. The shares trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the “MYCC” ticker.
ClubCorp’s business includes an array of members-only getaways around the country. The Harbour Club is on Prioleau Street near Waterfront Park, It opened in 1993 and includes a restaurant and spaces for meetings and receptions.
Elsewhere in South Carolina, ClubCorp owns the Capital City Club in Columbia, the Commerce Club in Greenville and Woodside Plantation Country Club in Aiken.
The company was taken private in 2006 in a $1.8 billion sale to KSL Capital Partners, which sold about 4.8 million of its shares Friday.