CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas -- A 12-year-old Texas boy has died after apparently suffering a severe allergic reaction to ant bites while warming up for the second half of a middle school football game.
Officials confirmed Tuesday that Cameron Espinosa died days after being bitten multiple times by fire ants. Corpus Christi school district spokeswoman Lorette Williams says the boy used a water bottle to try and remove the ants, but he eventually fell unconscious last Wednesday. He was taken to a hospital and was hospitalized in critical condition. The eighth-grader died Monday.
The game resumed after Cameron was transported to the hospital, but it was later halted when the severity of his condition became apparent.
Williams says the boy didn’t know he was allergic to ants. The district had no record of allergies.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.