HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. -- State regulators have given the owners of two shrimp boats that sunk earlier this month near Hilton Head Island 30 days to remove them.
The Island Packet of Hilton Head reports the boats ran aground Aug. 14 while one was pulling the other. Both remain in a creek just north of the resort island. Earlier, the Coast Guard hired a company to drain the 1,300 gallons of fuel from the boats.
Some residents are worried the boats are falling apart.
Jim Beasley of the Department of Health and Environmental Control says the owners have 30 days to remove them. He says they were notified last week.
Beasley says any cleanup of debris in the creek is the owners’ responsibility.
Information from: The Island Packet, http://www.islandpacket.com
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.