North Charleston police officers chased an 18-year-old man on a moped for more than a half-mile earlier this week as he ran a red light at 20 mph and briefly had a companion running alongside the low-powered motorcycle, an incident report stated.

Ethan Lamont Jenkins of Sanders Road in North Charleston was arrested on charges of failure to stop for blue lights and giving false information to the police. The North Charleston Police Department said Jenkins had lied about his name but was later identified through fingerprints.

Jenkins also had been wanted on a charge of disorderly conduct, the police said.

The report doesn’t say why officers first tried to stop Jenkins’ moped around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday at Dorchester Road and Olivia Drive. But others were summoned to the area after an officer reported that the moped wasn’t stopping.

After pulling up to a mobile home park at 5737 Dorchester Road, Officer Giovanni Brown saw a man in an orange shirt running alongside Jenkins, who was riding the tan moped.

The other man was trying to jump aboard as Jenkins steered the moped through some grass near Andrews Street, the report stated. That’s when the man saw the police and ran away.

The moped continued through the parking lots of a Hess gas station and a shopping plaza, then turned onto Dorchester Road.

Brown reported that the southbound moped had hit 20 mph when it blew a red light at the Bream Road intersection. It kept changing lanes, but it didn’t stop, the officer’s report stated.

After it turned left onto Marilyn Drive and right onto Marginal Street, the moped was ditched into some grass. The driver started running, the police said.

Officers caught up to Jenkins and handcuffed him outside a TitleMax store at 5381 Dorchester Road.

The moped had not been reported stolen, the police said. Its status was being investigated, though, because the ignition was lacking a key and the gas cap appeared to have been forced off.

Jail records indicated Friday that Jenkins also faced a charge of receiving stolen goods. He was held in lieu of $5,200 bail.

Reach Andrew Knapp at 937-5414 or