The guesswork is over. MTV won’t be filming the 29th season of “The Real World,” in Charleston after all.
Variety Magazine reported Thursday that San Francisco would house the next cast of the iconic reality show.
An MTV spokesperson who asked not to be named said Friday that Charleston was never being considered for the show’s backdrop and that the speculation was “entirely a rumor.”
However, Preston Charles, a freelance producer who works with MTV, told The Post and Courier last week that Charleston was high on the list of potential destinations for “The Real World.”
Charles has been planning to produce a reality show targeted for MTV that would center on girls who live in Charleston. An announcement of MTV’s plans to film “The Real World” here would have likely signaled an end to his show, he said.
“I’m very, very pleased that they’re not doing (‘The Real World’) in Charleston,” Charles said.
The news should also come as a relief to the 5,316 people who signed the online petition to keep the show out of the Holy City. Colin Raden posted the petition on Change.org when he first heard the rumors on Aug. 7.
“It’s not about keeping Charleston a secret,” Raden said of his reason for starting the petition. “I just wouldn’t like to see its reputation tarnished.”
Notice about comments: