Family members of 23-year-old gunshot victim Sierra Denise Truesdale on Wednesday said they were relieved to know that the self-professed member of a Walterboro gang wanted in her killing is now behind bars.

Dashawn Trevell Brown, 20 of Groves Street, is being held a the Dorchester County jail on one count of murder and two counts of attempted murder in connection with a July 14 shooting at a nightclub in the Hudson Town community, sheriff’s deputies said.

Sheriff’s deputies and agents from both the State Law Enforcement Division and the U.S. Marshal’s Office surrounded a home in the Fox Field subdivision near Walterboro about 8 p.m. on Tuesday.

Multiple people at the home told authorities that Brown was still inside. He refused to come out, however, and authorities obtained a search warrant to enter the residence.

Authorities found Brown hidden beneath a mattress inside a back room, sheriff’s office spokesman Ted Stanfield said. He was taken into custody and handed over to Dorchester County officials.

Brown is a self-identified member of the Get Money Cowboys, a growing street gang in rural Colleton County, authorities said.

Members of the gang on July 14 had arrived at the Starlite Lounge at 243 Hudson Road near St. George, to perform rap music at the roadhouse, deputies said.

Witnesses reported that a second suspect in the slaying, Ikeal Dacus, 23, of Reevesville, bad-mouthed the group to their faces as they performed.

A fight broke out between the partygoers, and at least 17 rounds were fired into the crowd.

A stray bullet struck Truesdale as she celebrated her birthday at the nightclub. She died in the backseat of a car before paramedics could arrive.

Two other people also were struck by bullets, deputies said. Witnesses identified Dacus as one of multiple gunmen.

Sheriff’s deputies arrested Dacus days after the shooting. He is being held at the Dorchester County jail on the same charges as Brown.

Brown, a convicted felon, eluded law enforcement for almost a month before he was arrested on Tuesday.

Brown’s history involves a conviction in December on a first-degree assault and battery charge for which he received a six-year suspended sentence and two years probation, State Law Enforcement Division records state. He pleaded guilty to one count of attempted murder stemming from an August arrest and received a concurrent sentence on the charges, Colleton County court records show.

Truesdale’s grandmother Vera Breland, 60 of Hanahan, said Wednesday afternoon that she was relieved to hear that Brown was now off the streets.

Reach Christina Elmore at 937-5908 or at