TRIPOLI, Libya -- Libyan security officials say more than 1,000 detainees have escaped from a prison near the eastern city of Benghazi in a mass jailbreak.
A government security official in Benghazi, Mohammed Hejazi, said the jailbreak happened Saturday at Koyfiya prison, as protesters stormed the offices of Islamist-allied parties in Libya’s main cities.
It wasn’t immediately clear if the jailbreak was part of the protests or if inmates received outside help.
A security official from the prison confirmed the jailbreak happened. He said most of the inmates were being held on serious charges. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not allowed to speak with journalists.
Benghazi’s security situation is among the most precarious in post-revolution Libya. Last year, the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans were killed in an attack there.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.