• Charleston’s celebration of National Collector Car Appreciation Day will take place 9 a.m.-noon at Brittlebank Park next to Joe Riley Stadium. This is an informal, non-club-affiliated event. Bring your collector car, your family and a picnic lunch. All collector-car families are welcome. No alcoholic beverages allowed. A tour of historic Charleston will begin at noon for anyone wishing to participate. For the fourth year, the SEMA Action Network is sponsoring the day to raise awareness of the vital role automotive restoration and collection plays in American society. The collector day organizational committee includes members of Coastal Carolina Region AACA and Lowcountry Model A Ford Club/Street Rods Unlimited. For more, contact Trevor at Trev53@comcast.net or Hugh at HughH41@yahoo.com.
• Street Rods Unlimited Inc. will sponsor an evening cruise-in at 5 p.m. at Sonic drive-in, 660 College Park Road in Goose Creek. The event is held the second Saturday of each month at the entrance to Crowfield Plantation. All special interest vehicles are welcome to attend. For more information contact Dennis Welch at 843-761-4469 or go to www.streetrodsunlimited.org.
• VW Drag Night, to include a car show, will be held 11 a.m. “until” at Orangeburg Dragstrip in Neeses. Events are an all-day-and-night drag race, the Fifth Annual car show and hot dog party. The show is free and open to all Volkswagens and will be judged by the entrants. Plaques will be given out for best engine, best interior, best of show and promoter’s choice. Awards will be presented around 5:30 p.m. Lowcountry VW Club is among the sponsors. For more information, call 843-557-0807 or visit www.vwdragnight.com.
• Street Rods Unlimited Inc. will hold its monthly meeting at Bessinger’s Bar-B-Q restaurant, 1602 Savannah Highway at 7:30 p.m. Anyone wishing information on the club or interested in joining are welcome to attend. For details, go to www.streetrodsunlimited.org.
• The Charleston-Lowcountry Region of the Antique Automobile Club of America will hold its monthly car show 6-9 p.m. at O’Reilly Auto Parts, 205 N. Goose Creek Blvd. in Goose Creek. Registration is $5. Classes include years 1954 and earlier, ’55-’65, ’66-’75 and ’76 to present; Corvairs; Corvettes; imports; motorcycles; Mustangs; street rods; and trucks. Trophies will be awarded in all classes plus best in show. The club will be accepting monetary or nonperishable food donations for Helping Hands of Goose Creek. For more information call Dennis at 843-200-8077.
• Low Country Mustang Club will be holding its fifth Bridge Poker Run 2:30-5 p.m. starting at Denny’s, 5265 International Blvd. Registration, which is $10 a hand for drivers and passengers who want to participate, is 2:30-3 p.m. and open to any street legal vehicle. Registration and the starting point will be in the restaurant parking lot. Departure time will be 3 p.m. The course is 50 miles long, crossing over seven Lowcountry bridges with two scheduled stops. The drive will end at the Sonic drive-in, 660 College Park Road. Prizes will go to the best, runner-up and worst hands. There will also be a cruise-in held at the Sonic at the completion of the Poker Run hosted by the local Muscle Car Club. Proceeds will benefit Camp Breath Easy. For more information, contact Ken at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Walterboro Cruisers will be hosting cruise-ins on the fourth Saturday of each month 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Hill Tire, next to Sonic, on Roberson Boulevard in Walterboro. For more information, contact Joe at 843-909-4370 or Barry at 843-562-7292.
• Bessinger’s Bar-B-Q will host its monthly Open Car, Truck & Motorcycle Show 6-9 p.m. at the restaurant, 1602 Savannah Highway. Registration is $5. There are three trophies per class. Categories consist of cars for years 1942 and earlier; ’43-’59, ’60-’71 and ’72-2013; street rods; trucks; and motorcycles. Music is by The Cruise-O-Matics. For more information, contact Tom Jameson at 843-571-2264.
• Steel Pony 2013 Open Car & Bike Show will be 11 a.m.-4 p.m. at Charleston Tea Plantation on Wadmalaw Island. Registration is 11 a.m.-noon with judging at 3 p.m. Classes include cars for years 1942 and earlier, ’43-’59, ’60-’71 and ’72-2012; street rods; trucks; and motorcycles. Show registration, which is $15, includes tour of tea plantation. There will be awards, kids activities, food vendors, Mr. Koolie and live entertainment by Eddie Bush. Sponsors are Stono Body Works, Lowcountry Harley Davidson, Charleston Tea Plantation and McDonald’s. Steel Pony benefits the Lowcountry Firefighter Support Team, a non-profit organization whose mission is to promote peer-based and clinical behavioral health services that are easily accessible and available, insure that the needs of firefighters and their families are met, and identify those that are in most distress and respond effectively. For more information visit www.firefightersupport.org. For more on the car show, contact Stono Body Works at 843-795-8318.
Send car show information to Car Show Calendar, The Post and Courier, 134 Columbus St., Charleston, SC, 29403, fax it to 843-937-5778 or email email@example.com. Notices on events in the greater Charleston area will appear, as space allows, in the Saturday Wheels and Waves section. For an expanded list of shows from around the Carolinas, visit www.postandcourier.com.
Going to a car show this weekend? Submit your photos and videos, or send your car show information to Car Show Calendar, The Post and Courier, 134 Columbus St., Charleston, SC, 29403, fax it to 843-937-5778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.