CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Flood waters began to recede Saturday after powerful thunderstorms led to heavy downpours across the Charlotte area, prompting rescue crews to help stranded motorists and residents.
The National Weather Service issued a flood warning for portions of Mecklenburg and Cabarrus counties until the late afternoon. That warning was an extension of a previous warning that was set to expire at noon.
Reports indicated there was flooding on roads along the Rocky River. The weather service said the river had been expected to crest at 23 feet and that it should continue to fall Saturday, although several roads in the area were expected to remain flooded. Forecasters expected flooding in the vicinity of Charlotte Motor Speedway.
More thunderstorms were expected Saturday night, and the chance of afternoon and evening storms continues into next week.
Rain gauges monitored by the weather service showed nearly 5 inches fell in much of the area, but unofficial reports suggested 6 or more inches fell in nearly four hours Friday evening.
WBTV reported that firefighters in Lincoln County had to rescue seven people who were trapped inside their vehicles.
In Mecklenburg County, police reported a bridge in Huntersville was washed out by flooding. Crews in Concord rescued a family trapped in their home by rising waters late Friday night. Charlotte fire Capt. Rob Brisley said the city’s firefighters helped crews in Cabarrus County with a number of high-water rescues.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.