Former Stratford High School standout Justin Greene continues his good work for Class AA Mobile, going 2 for 4 on Thursday night in the BayBears’ 5-2 win over Pensacola.
Greene is batting .390 over his last 10 games, with three doubles, a triple and, on Monday, a three-run home run. For the season, Greene is hitting .333 with one homer, 17 RBI and 14 stolen bases.
Elsewhere among Lowcountry players in pro baseball:
• Mariners first baseman Justin Smoak began his minor-league rehab assignment, going 1 for 5 with a an RBI for Class AAA Tacoma. Smoak is coming back from a strained oblique.
• Marty Gantt (Mount Pleasant, College of Charleston) was 2 for 3 with two walks and a run scored for Class A Bowling Green, and is batting .284.
• John Murrian (Stratford HS, Winthrop) was 0 for 2 with a walk and scored a run for Class A Lakeland, and is batting .172 in 20 games.
In the majors:
• Chris McGuiness (James Island HS, The Citadel) was 1 for 3 with a second-inning single in the Rangers’ 3-1 loss to Toronto, raising his average to .211.
• Matt Wieters (Stratford HS) was 2 for 6 and drive in a run in the Orioles’ 5-4 win over Boston, and his batting .242 with 35 RBI.
• Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 2 for 6 and scored a run in the Yankees’ 3-2 loss to Oakland. He’s batting .284 and hit his 15th double in the game.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.