Asher Wojciechowski put together a third straight strong outing and won for the fifth time this season Tuesday night, getting the victory in Class AAA Oklahoma City’s 8-5 win over Iowa.
The former Citadel pitcher worked 5 2/3 innings and allowed two earned runs on four hits, walking three and striking out seven. The Beaufort native is 5-3 with a 2.80 earned-run average this season, and is 3-2 with a 3.22 ERA since being promoted to Class AAA by the Astros.
Elsewhere among Lowcountry players in pro baseball Tuesday:
• Justin Greene (Stratford HS) was 0 for 4 with a strikeout and is batting .329 for Class AA Mobile.
In the majors:
• Matt Wieters (Stratford HS) was 0 for 4 in the Orioles’ 3-2 win over the Angels, and is batting .241.
• Michael Kohn (College of Charleston) pitched 1/3 of an inning in the same game, with a strikeout.
• Chris McGuiness (James Island HS, The Citadel) was 0 for 4 in the Rangers’ 5-2 loss to Cleveland, and is batting .167 since being called up last week.
• Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 2 for 5 with a run scored in the Yankees’ 6-4 loss to Oakland. He’s batting .286 and was named the American League player of the week for after going 13 of 25 (.520) with five doubles and a home run in seven games.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.