A West Ashley apartment fire Tuesday afternoon drove residents out of the building while firefighters brought the blaze under control.
The fire was reported at 12:38 p.m. at Colonial Village Apartments, 1916 Sam Rittenberg Blvd., according to Charleston Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh. Crews from Charleston, St. Andrews and North Charleston converged on the scene, backed up by Charleston County EMS and Charleston police officers.
The first unit arrived four minutes after the call. The fire was out and all apartments searched within 20 minutes, he said.
Residents of all 16 units were evacuated while the fire was brought under control.
The fire started near heating and air-conditioning electrical service between a first- and second-floor apartment and was reported when it breached an exterior wall, Julazadeh said. A ground-floor apartment was heavily damaged, with minor damage to an apartment above it.
Those two apartments were left uninhabitable, and management was working to relocate the residents to vacant units, Julazadeh said.
No injuries were reported.
Reach Dave Munday at 937-5553 or twitter.com/dmunday.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.