Former South Carolina star Jackie Bradley Jr. hit his first Major League home run Tuesday night, sparking the Red Sox to a 17-5 victory over the Red Sox.
Bradley hit a two-run homer over the Texas bullpen in right field in the second inning and finished with three runs batted-in. He brought in another run with a sixth-inning groundout, and in his second stint with the Red Sox is now batting .167 with six RBI.
“It felt great to get the first one out of the way,” Bradley, who is 4-for-15 with two doubles and a homer since being recalled from Class AAA Pawtucket, told reporters. “Hopefully it’s not the last.” Watch a video of his home run by clicking here.
Among Lowcountry players in pro baseball:
• Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 1 for 1 with his 10th double in the Yankees’ 4-3 win over the Indians, and is batting .259.
• Matt Wieters (Stratford HS) was 0 for 4 with a strikeout in the Orioles’ 4-1 win over the Astros and is batting .232.
In the minors:
• Justin Greene (Stratford HS, Francis Marion) remains on a tear for Class AA Mobile, going 3 for 5 for the third straight game. He’s got nine hits in his last 15 at-bats, and is batting .347 for the season and .410 over the last 10 games.
• Chris McGuiness (James Island, The Citadel) was 1 for 4 with a double and an RBI for Class AAA Round Rock, and is batting .275 with 19 doubles, six homers and 34 RBI.
• Pitcher Mike Cisco (Wando HS, USC) worked 1 2/3 scoreless innings for Class AA Arkansas, giving up one hit. He’s 2-1 with a 2.22 earned-run average and one save in 21 appearances.
• Pitcher John Cornely (Bishop England HS, Wofford) was tagged for two homers and three earned runs in just 1/3 of an inning for Class A Lynchburg, taking the loss to fall to 1-1 with a 6.23 ERA and one save in 16 appearances.
• Catcher John Murrian (Stratford HS, Winthrop) was 0 for 4 with two strikeouts at Class A Lakeland, and is batting .140 in 15 games.
Notice about comments: