AIKEN, S.C. -- Employees of the contractor that manages the Savannah River Site are returning to full-time work status.
Officials with Savannah River Nuclear Solutions said Thursday that about 2,500 workers would go back to full-time status starting on Monday.
The employees at the old nuclear weapons plant had been on furloughs since April due to federal budget cuts.
SRNS CEO Dwayne Wilson said in a message to employees that a funding request had been approved, meaning that employees could go back to the schedules they were working at the end of March.
The 310-square-mile Savannah River Site once produced plutonium and tritium for atomic bombs. Work there is now focused mostly on research and cleaning up contaminated areas.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.