Ex-Stratford High School standout Justin Greene and James Island’s Chris McGuiness each had two hits Sunday night to highlight Lowcountry players in pro baseball.
Greene was 2 for 5 and scored two runs for the Class AA Mobile BayBears, and is batting .297.
McGuiness, a Citadel product, was 2 for 4 with his 14th double, and is batting .273 for Class AAA Round Rock.
Elsewhere in the minor leagues:
• Pitcher Mike Cisco (Wando HS, USC) worked 1 1/3 scoreless innings of relief, allowing no hits with one strikeout for Class AA Arkansas. He’s 1-0 with a 1.96 ERA in 16 appearances.
• Reese Havens (Bishop England HS, USC) was 0 for 1 as a pinch-hitter for Class AAA Las Vegas, and is batting .228.
• Marty Gantt (Mount Pleasant, College of Charleston) was 2 for 3 and is batting .344 over his last 10 games for Class A Bowling Green, and .310 for the season.
• On Friday, pitcher John Cornely (Bishop England, Wofford) earned his first win of the season, pitching the last two innings of a 7-6 victory for Class A Lynchburg. He’s 1-0 with one save and a 4.50 ERA.
• Also on Friday, pitcher Drew Cisco (Wando HS) got no decision despite six innings of four-hit ball in which he allowed one earned run with no walks and seven strikeouts. He’s 2-3 with a 2.88 ERA.
In the majors Sunday:
• Justin Smoak (Stratford HS, USC) was 1 for 4 and is batting .254 for the Mariners.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.