Investigators believe they have figured out where the fire that ravaged several businesses on Charleston’s East Bay Street last month started but are still working on identifying the cause.
The blaze started in a second-floor office and storage area of The Light, Charleston Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh said Tuesday. It’s not yet clear how the fire started, he said.
The 1 a.m. April 2 fire at 213 East Bay St. heavily damaged The Light, Squeeze and The Brick, causing the roof to collapse. Businesses on each side sustained smoke and water damage.
The building did not have a fire alarm or smoke detector, although they were not required at the time the building was occupied, he said.
The investigation was delayed until the structure could be stabilized, Julazadeh said.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.