Former Citadel baseball standout Chris McGuiness had a big weekend, delivering a game-winning single on Sunday and a home run on Saturday for Class AAA Round Rock.
McGuiness (James Island) was 2 for 4 with a walk-off RBI single in Round Rock’s 4-3 win over Albuquerque on Sunday, pushing his batting average up to .219.
On Saturday, McGuiness was 1 for 2 and hit his fourth home run of the season.
Elsewhere among Lowcountry players in pro baseball:
• Second baseman Reese Havens (Bishop England HS, USC) was 2 for 2 with two walks on Saturday, and walked in his only plate appearance, as a pinch-hitter, on Sunday. He’s batting .280 for Class AAA Las Vegas.
• Pitcher Asher Wojciechowski (Beaufort, The Citadel) had a rough outing Sunday, giving up four hits and four earned runs with a walk, two strikeouts and a home run in three innings of a 4-3 loss to Frisco. Still, he’s 2-1 with a 2.08 earned-run average for Class AA Corpus Christi.
• Outfielder Justin Greene (Stratford HS) was 1 for 3 with an RBI and two walks for Class AA Mobile, after going 0 for 2 on Saturday. He’s batting .289.
• Pitcher Mike Cisco (Wando HS, USC) worked one-third of an inning Sunday, allowing one hit and two earned runs with a walk, a strikeout and a homer. He’s 1-0 with a 1.69 ERA for Class AA Arkansas.
And in Major League Baseball on Sunday:
• Outfielder Brett Gardner did not get an at-bat in the Yankees’ 3-2 win over Toronto. He’s batting .253.
• Catcher Matt Wieters (Stratford HS) was 1 for 4 with an RBI in the Orioles’ 9-8 loss to Oakland. He’s batting .210.
• First baseman Justin Smoak (Stratford HS, USC) got a day off, his first of the season, in Seattle’s 2-1 win over the Angels. Smoak has reportedly been dealing with lower back and knee stiffness. He’s hitting .211 with a homer and five RBI.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.