An electrical fire caused minor damage to a North Charleston inn Sunday afternoon, firefighters said.

A maintenance employee heard an alarm sound in one room at Charleston Inn and Suites, 3680 Dorchester Road, and used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames, North Charleston Fire Department spokeswoman Bianca Sancic said.

The flames were contained to an electrical outlet and air conditioning unit in the room, Sancic said.

Firefighters determined that an electrical issue caused the flames to ignite, Sancic said.