Former Stratford High School standout Justin Greene had a big night Thursday for the Mobile Bay Bears.
The outfielder was 2 for 5 and scored two runs in a 7-6 loss to Jacksonville. He also stole a base, and threw a runner out at home in the 11th inning.
Greene is now batting .276 and has stolen three bases in 13 games for Class AA Mobile.
In the majors:
• First baseman Justin Smoak (Stratford HS, USC) was 0 for 3 but walked and scored a run in the Mariners’ 6-0 win over the Angels. He’s batting .220.
• Catcher Matt Wieters was 2 for 4, scored a run and drove in a run in the Orioles’ 10-2 win at Oakland. He’s batting .232 with 10 RBI.
• Centerfielder Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 1 for 3 and scored a run in the Yankee’s 5-3 win over Toronto, bumping his average up to .253.
In the minors among Lowcountry players Thursday:
• Catcher John Murrian (Stratford HS) was 0 for 3 with a walk against Dayton. He’s batting .250 for Class A Lakeland.
• Pitcher Mike Cisco (Wando HS, USC) pitched one inning of scoreless relief against Tulsa, allowing one hit. He’s 1-0 and has yet to allow an earned run in 10 1/3 innings with Class AA Arkansas.
• Pitcher John Cornely (Bishop England HS, Wofford) gave up a hit and an earned run in 1 1/3 innings against Winston-Salem, with three walks and a strikeout. He did not figure in the decision and is 0-0 with a 3.86 ERA in 2 1/3 innings at Class A Lynchburg.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.