Former Stratford High School standout Justin Greene had a big night Thursday for the Mobile Bay Bears.
The outfielder was 2 for 5 and scored two runs in a 7-6 loss to Jacksonville. He also stole a base, and threw a runner out at home in the 11th inning.
Greene is now batting .276 and has stolen three bases in 13 games for Class AA Mobile.
In the majors:
• First baseman Justin Smoak (Stratford HS, USC) was 0 for 3 but walked and scored a run in the Mariners’ 6-0 win over the Angels. He’s batting .220.
• Catcher Matt Wieters was 2 for 4, scored a run and drove in a run in the Orioles’ 10-2 win at Oakland. He’s batting .232 with 10 RBI.
• Centerfielder Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 1 for 3 and scored a run in the Yankee’s 5-3 win over Toronto, bumping his average up to .253.
In the minors among Lowcountry players Thursday:
• Catcher John Murrian (Stratford HS) was 0 for 3 with a walk against Dayton. He’s batting .250 for Class A Lakeland.
• Pitcher Mike Cisco (Wando HS, USC) pitched one inning of scoreless relief against Tulsa, allowing one hit. He’s 1-0 and has yet to allow an earned run in 10 1/3 innings with Class AA Arkansas.
• Pitcher John Cornely (Bishop England HS, Wofford) gave up a hit and an earned run in 1 1/3 innings against Winston-Salem, with three walks and a strikeout. He did not figure in the decision and is 0-0 with a 3.86 ERA in 2 1/3 innings at Class A Lynchburg.
Notice about comments: