A North Charleston couple blamed for the death of their 3-year-old daughter wept as they faced a judge Wednesday.

Tylia Hicks died last month after she was thrown through the rear window of their pickup truck.

North Charleston police said the Chevy Silverado was speeding along a two-lane section of Spruill Avenue about 4 p.m. March 25, passing two vehicles and forcing them off the road before crashing.

Tylia was in a car seat that was too big for her, and the car seat was not buckled to the rear seat of the truck, according to police. She landed in the truck bed.

To make matters worse, police said they found an open can of Icehouse beer inside the truck, as well as a leafy green plant that tested positive for THC and a digital scale with cocaine residue on it.

Tyrone Hicks, 33, and his wife, Amanda Hicks, 35, both of Hackemann Avenue, surrendered to police Wednesday after warrants were issued for their arrest. Both are charged with unlawful conduct toward a child. Tyrone Hicks is also charged with reckless homicide.

Neither had much to say at their bond hearing Wednesday, other than crying over their loss.

“I know I just lost my baby,” a weeping Tyrone Hicks told Magistrate Alvin Bligen when asked if he had any questions before the judge set bail.

He also told the judge he was disabled and dependent on medications.

Bligen set Tyrone Hicks’ bail at $80,000.

Police said Hicks was driving the pickup, passing cars and forcing them off the road. He scraped against a Nissan pickup he was trying to pass in the bicycle lane, sending the Nissan into oncoming traffic and the Chevy up over the curb. The spinning truck hit a utility pole and then a telephone pole before coming to rest against a tree. The 3-year-old child had been ejected.

Amanda Hicks was hurt in the wreck and was still in a wheelchair during the bond hearing.

She said she has worked for three years at Old South Carriage Co. selling tickets and taking care of the barn. She started to say something about the pain of losing her child and broke down in tears. She was hospitalized after the wreck and was sitting in a wheelchair during her bond hearing.

She was given a personal-recognizance bond so she could be released Wednesday night.

Tylia Hicks came from a family that includes several pastors and ministers who share her last name, according to her obituary. Several family members were at the bond hearing but declined to speak to reporters.