Centerfielder Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 2 for 4 and drove in a run in the Yankees’ 8-4 loss to Toronto on Sunday.
Gardner also stole a base and is batting .270.
Elsewhere among Lowcountry players in pro baseball on Sunday:
• Catcher Matt Wieters (Stratford HS) was 0 for 4 in the Orioles’ 7-4 loss to the Dodgers. He’s batting .224.
• First baseman Justin Smoak (Stratford HS, USC) was 0 for 4 in the Mariners’ 11-3 loss to the Rangers. He’s batting .188.
Also, former College of Charleston pitcher Michael Kohn was called up from Class AAA Salt Lake to the Angels on Friday. He pitched an inning of shutout relief against Detroit on Saturday.
In the minors on Sunday:
• First baseman Chris McGuiness (James Island, The Citadel) was 0 for 1 with three walks and a run scored against New Orleans. He’s batting .232 for the Rangers’ Class AAA team in Round Rock.
• Second baseman Reese Havens (Bishop England HS, USC) was 0 for 1 against Colorado Springs, after going 1 for 4 and scoring two runs on Saturday. He’s hitting .273 for the Mets’ AAA team in Las Vegas.
• Justin Greene (Stratford HS) was 0 for 1 against Mississippi. The outfielder is hitting .188 for Arizona’s AA team in Mobile.
• Pitcher Mike Cisco (Wando HS, USC) worked two innings of scoreless relief against Springfield, but did not figure in the decision. He gave up one hit, walked one and struck out two and is 1-0 with an 0.00 ERA in 9 1/3 innings for the Angels’ AA team in Arkansas.
• And on Saturday night, pitcher Asher Wojciechowski (Beaufort, The Citadel) earned his second victory with four innings of scoreless relief against Frisco, allowing two hits and striking out five. He’s 2-0 with an 0.00 ERA in 18 innings for the Astros’ AA team in Corpus Christi, with two starts among four appearances.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.